Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A yummy treat for anyone

Okay all, I know it has been a very long time since my last post. I have been hard at work cleaning and creating. So, I wanted to quickly share my newest recipe that I came up with today. I love coffee, well, good coffee. I cannot stand bad tasting, watered down brown water that people pass off as coffee. So needless to say I don't go to that 'bucks place or anywhere else anymore, I save the money and make my own. That way I know what is going in and that makes it more WLS friendly.
Sooo, since I love coffee so much I have decided to try and make WLS friendly biscotti. I love ones that aren't too sweet and have yummy surprises inside. I have made Pistashio, Cranberry Almond, and today...drum roll please...my fav of all time so far, Mango Tango Almond Biscotti. Before you worry about me, I am sure to make these to be Sugar Free (accept for the fruits I add). So, ya wanna try the recipe...here it is...

Mango Tango Almond Biscotti

1/4 + 2 Tbls Egg Beaters
1 cup Splenda
1 tsp Almond Extract
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
3 Tbls Melted Butter
2 cups Almond Meal/Flour (I use Trader Joes)
3/4 cup all purpose unbleached flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking SODA
Couple pinches of Salt
1/2 cup slivered almonds
4-5 rehydrated Dried Mango Slices Chopped up finely (I use Trader Joes)
1/4 tsp fresh frozen grated Ginger( it's easier to microplane that way)
5 pieces of finely chopped Candied Ginger( once again I use Trader Joes)

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Line a pan with parchment paper and cut a second piece and put it on your cutting board. You will turn the biscotti dough out onto it once mixed.
Use a good mixer and whip up those egg beaters till they have a little air in them. Then add Splenda, Vanilla extract, Almond Extract, butter and mix until blended well. Now add the finely chopped up rehydrated mango slices. This adds a bit more moisture and some fiberous texture that holds them together very nicely.
In a separate bowl mix together lightly the almond flour/meal, flour, baking soda and salt. Blend it until it is well mixed. Slowly add the dry into the wet mixture until it is well combined. I add a little at a time to be sure. It will be a very sticky dough. Then quickly add the fresh frozen ginger and pulse one more time to combine. Turn out all the dough onto a large piece of parchment paper for needing.
Combine the chopped up candied ginger and almonds. Knead in 1/2 the mixture, using the parchment to cover the dough as you roll and fold it over a couple of times, repeat with the rest of the ginger and almonds. Try not to overwork the dough, it makes them tough. Divide the dough in half on the parchment, roll them into 2 logs (approx. 2 inches wide and 8-9 inches long) Use your judgement.
Transfer the logs onto the pan with the parchment on it. Don't skip this, otherwise they will come out too dark. Bake them for approx 35 min. They will be firm to the touch and a bit golden color.
Let them cool for a few minutes. You should be able to touch them easily ( I say about 10 min).
You need a serrated bread knife ( don't try another kind, you will be sorry), very carefully and slightly saw back and forth over the biscotti in about 1/2 inch intervals until though the cookie. Arrange them back onto the parchment covered pan and pop them back in the oven for approx 12-14 min., flip them over, and cook for another 5-7 minutes depending on the color you want them to be.
Let them cool completely and then put them in an air tight container. You won't be able to keep them around long. If you like a little sweet and spicy this is right up your alley.

They are approx 100 cal per cookie, 5 g carbs and 1 g protein
( all this depends on how much you like to add to the mix)

Gonna go eat one now! Caio all!!!

No comments: