Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving was so AWESOME!



Well, nothing like good food and friends on such a great holiday. I am thankful for so many things today...first of all, for God's grace, second, for a great family and great friends to support me though this journey...and lastly, for this wonderful tool RNY. I love my RNY. I was able to enjoy wonderful flavors, textures and even pumpkin pie, sugar free of course. I couldn't even tell. My son Connor loves the SF pie! We had the best turkey thanks to Kelli. It was so moist and delicious. I didn't even need much gravy. The green beans were AWWWW, so good (recipe to follow) and I made some fingerling potatoes, and Eggplant Stuffing. I don't think I will go back to regular ol' bread style stuffing again. I had just enough to enjoy myself and feel content. I even had a 1/3 of a glass of wine.The food today was better than any other holiday before. As I told everyone at the table, my brain is finally catching up with my body. I wasn't really hungry but I ate to live and be a part of something bigger than myself. To celebrate loving my country's roots, celbrate being a patriot, and celebrate the blessings that God has given us. Our family has so much to be thankful for.
Here is an updated picture of me from today...friends, there is life after food! I am winning the battle!

Roasted Eggplant Stuffing

3 medium Eggplants (approx. 1 pound each, I use the traditional Italian ones)
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
Freshly Ground Pepper to taste
2 Stalks Celery, sliced and sauted
1 large yellow Onion
1/2 cup sliced Crimini Mushrooms
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
1/4 cup Bread Crumbs
1 Tablespoon (or less) Butter

Peel and cube the eggplants place on a cookie sheet and toss with olive oil, salt & pepper. Roast at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden turning a few times during cooking. Sweat the celery and onion till tender and set aside. Meanwhile saute mushrooms till golden. Add garlic cook 1 minute. Combine eggplant and veggies. Add the bread crumbs and cheese. Mix to combine. Spoon into a casserole dish, dot with butter and bake till golden about 25 minutes.

Thanksgiving Green Bean Casserole

8-10 slices of Bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 - 24 oz. bag Frozen French Green Beans
2 pkgs Trader Joe's Frozen Spinach Artichoke Dip
3/4 cup Milk (or half & half)
Freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
1 cup Fried Onion Pieces

Cook bacon. Let cool and crumble. Steam green beans till not quite done. Set aside. Prepare frozen spinach artichoke dip according to directions and then whisk in milk (or half & half) until smooth. Combine green beans, bacon, dip mixture, and a twist or two of freshly ground black pepper in a large bowl. Pour into a large casserole dish. Top with the fried onions and bake in preheated 325 degree oven for 20 - 30 minutes or until bubbly.

No comments: