Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A rough day

Well, it is has been a rough food day for me. Not that I am able to pack in the food or anything, but my cravings have been getting the best of me the past few days. So, tonight I decided to have a good evening meal. I have really been struggling with lean meats, I have been much better with fish, shrimp and cheese. So, for dinner tonight I had this Cinnamon Blueberry Ricotta Crepes (recipe to follow). So Connor saw I was making "skinny pancakes" and wanted to try one. If you have had crepes you know they are eggy and oh so yummy! With a few tweeks I have turned mine into a WLS dream. So, figuring the boys would like cinnamon and sugar I warmed up some butter, added cinnamon and sugar all over the crepe and rolled it up for him to eat. He had to have 2. Then Raury came home and I offered him one, he initially said "No" but then changed his mind and DEVOURED it. What I love to see. If you have watched Jamie Oliver's new show you know he is trying to revolutionize the way our kids eat. Well, I have been trying to take that to heart. I am trying to get my boys to eat at least 2 good homemade meals a day. These crepes are a good start. They asked if they can have them for breakfast tomorrow. Music to a momma's ears. I think I am even changing Gary's mind about food. Just because I am not cooking like I used to doesn't mean I am not taking great care to eat really good stuff. We typically have Panko Parmesan Chicken fingers 1 night, and fish, scallops or shrimp the rest of the week. Friday is Pizza night for all the men in my life and I typically have something easy like a protein shake. My latest favorite is my Cinnamon Almond one. It tastes like those yummy Chinese Almond cookies from one of those buffets. Yumm!
Last night for dinner Gary and I had Fresh caught Columbia Salmon Fillets in a packet with Asparagas, Mushrooms, Corriander, Dry Vermouth and Orange slices. I just packed it all in a parchment paper packet and cooked it at 425 degrees for 12 minutes. Gary couldn't get enough and it was SOOOOO good for us. Packet cooking is a great thing for me. I can make a large portion for Gary and a reasonable size for my Pandora. She can't hold much these days.
Well, as promised my crepe recipe is to follow. I hope you all have a great rest of the week. Happy Easter everyone!!!!

Cinnamon Blueberry Ricotta Crepes

All purpose Crepe batter
1 cup 1% milk or Soy if you prefer
4 eggs beaten in a bowl
1/4 cup water
2 Tablespoons of SF Vanilla Syrup
4 Tablespoons of Canola Oil
1 cup of Flour( I use Spelt Flour...thus the baking soda. If you use reg flour omit the baking soda)
1 teaspoon of Baking Soda
1/8 teaspoon of Kosher Salt
Mix all the wet ingredients together, then slowly add dry with a wisk until smooth. You might want to use a hand mixer. Once blended smooth, cover and let it rest in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, do not leave it overnight. Make them all up and leave them in the fridge for snacks and quick meals. This recipe makes a lot of crepes so you can half the recipe for less. I am cooking for 5. I typically use 1/3 cup of batter per crepe. I use my Non stick electric skillet, watch the crepe until it is no longer wet and then I flip it for a few seconds to get a nice yummy glow on it. They are a bit sweet, creamy from the eggs and they hold up very nicely to filling and yummy things. You could even omit the SF syrup for a savory crepe and add a creamy meat filling or use them like pasta for a lasagna. These are a multi use WLS food tool.

Filling:
1/3 cup Low Fat Ricotta Cheese
Handful of fresh blueberries
2 tsp. Splenda
Cinnamon to taste
Warm it up in the micro for 25 sec.
Add to cooked crepe, roll up in blintz like fashion and pop in the micro for a few seconds till warm and gooey.

No comments: